The year 1947 saw the first annual Pentecostal Assemblies of Newfoundland and Labrador camp meeting, located at Long Pond, Manuels, just outside St. John’s. For 31 years Camp Emmanuel was a summer highlight for many Pentecostals, and a number of permanent buildings were erected. Growth in the area created the need for more privacy and room for expansion. In 1978, Camp Emmanuel was relocated to Route 340, on the Lewisporte Highway, with the first Family Camp being held there the following summer. This is an annual denominational event, held in July.
Emmanuel Convention Centre is the setting for several annual events hosted by the Pentecostal Assemblies of Newfoundland/Labrador:
- Family Camp (8 days in July)
- Youth Breakaway I and II (June and August)
- Women’s Ministries Convention (September)
- Biannual General Conference (June)
- Biannual Leadership Seminar (June of non-conference year)
- Annual Pastoral Conferences (October)